SHAFTESBURY TOWN COUNCIL
Town Hall, Shaftesbury, Dorset, SP7 8LY
FROM: The Town Clerk, Mrs Claire Commons
DATE: 17th January 2019
SUBJECT: PRESS STATEMENT
No increase for Shaftesbury’s part of the Council Tax.
- Shaftesbury Town Council has set its budget for the coming year and there will be no increase in the Shaftesbury element of Council Tax.
- At a meeting of the Council on 8th January 2019, the Council set its budget for the coming year and five-year budget forecast. This is a below the rate of inflation impact for Shaftesbury residents for at least the coming year.
- The Council recognised that balancing household budgets for some of its residents is a challenge. The Shaftesbury element of the council tax will therefore remain unchanged for 2019/20 and potentially also for the following year. The Council will continue to support community projects and work collaboratively to the benefit of the town.
- A lot of work has gone into improving efficiencies and scrutinising the expenditure budget. There is also increased revenue budgeted from the services that the Council provides through rents, hire of its building and land, weddings, markets, allotments, cemetery and swimming pool.
- Mayor of Shaftesbury, Councillor Piers Brown commented “Over the last four years, the town council’s element of the council tax will have reduced in real terms as it is below the rate of inflation. This is great news for hard working families”
- Paragraph 5: shows where people can find more details, get involved, etc. To view the detailed budget, please visit https://www.shaftesbury-tc.gov.uk/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/2019-01-08-Full-Council-Agenda-Public.pdf or ask at the Town Hall email@example.com
For further information contact Shaftesbury Town Council, Tel: 01747 852420 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org